2010年11月4日星期四

Looking For Construction Jobs? Smile, Things Could Be Worse

Looking for construction jobs? Smile, things could be worse.I've been building homes for nearly 30 years. If you follow my articles you will find that I have made a few mistakes. I think I have learned something from every mistake. You can probably look back and laugh at many of your own job experiences as I have. I also include some good advice, if you pay attention.This article is about my first job in the construction industry. Here's the advice part… I was hired as a laborer with a group of (5) other laborers by a large production home builder. From day one, I always show up about an hour early for work and never miss a day. Sounds crazy I know, however that is the way I was raised. My biggest problem with my employees over the years, has been that there is always one that cannot show up on time. Always 10-30 minutes late. By the time he arrives, the job is busy and another employee or myself has had to manage some of his work.  I've heard every excuse in the book. This type of employee is typically let go after a couple weeks, and a few written warnings. Fortunately for me, the other laborers and my direct manager were this type of employee.  I was very soon, the last standing laborer and was quickly promoted to an assistant superintendant, and eventually became my boss's supervisor.  That's my tip for today…always show up early and do not miss work. It will work in your favor when you make a mistake.Now about my first big mistake. As part of my job as assistant superintendant, I was responsible for completing a home from drywall to closing, including the walk through orientation with the owner. My boss and myself were awarded an incentive bonus for a closing with -0- incomplete walk through items. I rarely missed a bonus, as I had cleverly asked the carpenter and painter to stop by the walk through after about an hour, to make minor adjustments and paint touch-ups based upon tags that I had placed during the orientation. By the end of the walk through, any items presented during the walk through had been addressed and signed off. Another perfect walk through and a bonus for my Boss and I. After several company awards for perfect closings and great customer feedback, I encountered a snag in my routine. A client could not meet for an orientation during normal business hours. I agreed to meet the customer on a Saturday morning. I had a plan. I gathered up some tools, calk, paint, and cleaning supplies. I would conduct the walk through, advise the client how important it was for me to deliver a perfect house, and request that the client grab a cup of coffee while I complete any items on the walk through list, then return in an hour to sign off the list. The walk through went great. A few door and cabinet adjustments, and a few paint touch-ups, no problem. The client left for coffee as I corrected a few door adjustments and started my paint touch-up. My final paint touch up was on the wall above the top of the stairway. I set up my ladder, set my gallon of enamel at the bottom of the ladder, and proceeded up the ladder with a gallon of wall paint and a roller. As I completed the repair the customer hollered up from below "looks great!".  Startled, I swung around and flung the gallon of paint toward the stairs. I watched in horror as the paint can, in slow motion, bounced off the top stair spinning and hitting every stair on the staircase, spewing paint on the walls, the stairs, the rails, the floor below, and the customer. To add insult to injury, as I stepped off the ladder, I stepped into the gallon of enamel that I had placed at the bottom of my ladder. I removed my sock and rolled up my pants, and slowly walked down the stairs toward the once happy customer. Needless to say, I did not receive a bonus for this closing, I did however keep my job. Probably due to my work ethic. http://www.buildersstaff.comAuthor: Patrick McGreal30 Years in Home Building Industry

没有评论:

发表评论