2010年11月8日星期一

Some say I am introvert - others say I am extrovert

Introvert? Extrovert? What the hell is the difference? Ain't we all humans? Ain't we all unique in our own way? My attitude towards others is well-balanced, very respectful of others and somewhat respected I might add. My performance at work is much better than average.I socialize at work as much as I need to during lunchtime and coffee breaks. However, when I sit in that cubicle, I work and I do a damn good job at that. What if I am an introvertWhen I first came to the States, I started working as a computer technician. I was told that I was too shy and I sat in that cubicle all day long, working and working. I would say to myself "I was hired to do a job. I was not hired to socialize. That comes after work when I leave that building."My manager even warned me to get out and mingle with others. It's good for your sanity. You are all cooped up in that 8x8 cubicle. You are an introvert. English not being my first language, that was the first time I ever heard that word. Obviously, I didn't know what it meant. As long as it didn't start with an "F", it didn't bother me that much.I told her, I said "I am not whatever you just called me. I am just as human as you are." Luckily, she didn't say anything and left it at that. Maybe she thought I was a dumb asshole and that's why she probably didn't say anything. My apologies to the dumb assholes of the world. I actually meant to say something else. I just slipped. I apologize again.So I did some research. Now I know what an introvert is. When there is an introvert, there has to be an extrovert. And when I understood what an extrovert was, I decided to become one. O! man, life is fun, ain't it?What if I am an extrovertFive or six years passed. During that time, I had converted to being a full-time extrovert. That became my faith. I started working for another company. I was so aggressive that some people, at work, complained I was stepping on their toes. I would say to them I am an extrovert. I am supposed to do that. If you get offended or your rights are violated, that's your problem. Those days I was so aggressive if someone wanted to go to hell, I would make sure that I was the first on that path.My manager warned me I was way over my head. She said people were offended, people were insulted. No one wanted to talk to me let alone socialize with me. What if I am an introvert/extrovertI was already out of the rat hole of being an introvert. I didn't want to become one again. A lot of people felt insulted by me. So I didn't want to be an extrovert either any more.I decided to be an introvert slash extrovert. I even had a sign labeled "Introvert/Extrovert" outside my cubicle to the right of my name plate. People started calling me int-ext. There were some who called me In tExt. I felt like an In Text Ads Network. O! ye human resources of the worldI am not an introvert. I am not an extrovert. Let those fancy words be the vocabulary of the shrinks of the world. Don't label me any more, please!I want to be a hard worker. I want to be a smart worker. All I want to do, at the end of the day, is to put some food on the table. All I want to do is see some smile on my kids' face.Moral of the storyIf you are an introvert, get out of that rat hole. Mingle with others. Hear what other people have to say. Take interest in others and their work and interests. And be assertive. If you are an extrovert, tone it down. Will you, please? You are not the only one living on this beautiful planet of ours. Be assertive but not aggressive enough that people stop socializing with you. Just be mindful of others' feelings. You do your job and let others do theirs. Most of all, don't let the shrinks of the world label you anything. First and foremost, we are all hardworking people. We respect others. We don't ask others to respect us. But what we do ask is to not be insulted with this mambo jumbo kind of talk that we don't even fully understand.

没有评论:

发表评论